Some professions and trades are regulated in Canada to protect public health and safety. That means that you must have a license or certificate to work in these professions and trades. You can find out if your profession or trade is regulated.  If it is, you will need to get a license or certificate to work. You’ll need to have your credentials assessed if you:

  • immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker
  • come to Canada to work in certain occupations (for example regulated occupations like doctors, engineers, plumbers, teachers)
  • come to Canada to study

Credentials you got outside Canada will need to be assessed, including:

  • education
  • work experience
  • professional credentials

For more information about getting your credentials assessed see :