To work in Canada you most likely will requires a work permit. If you do not already have a work permit you can apply for one from inside Canada if:

  • you have a valid study permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit
  • you have graduated from a program at a Canadian university, college, or public trade/technical school
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more
  • you are waiting for a decision on an application for permanent residence from within Canada
  • you made or will make a claim for refugee protection
  • you have been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
  • you have been allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit for a different job, or
  • you are a trader, investor, intra-company transferee or professional under NAFTA.

If you’re not sure whether you need a work permit or need information about how to apply, go to the Government of Canada’s Immigration and Citizenship website.